Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"Definining" moments... and healing

I had the opportunity last night to have a great chat with my Bible study buddy, Marla. We talked about "defining" moments or issues or comments that we endured that have affected the way we are as people. Specifically, we looked at things that hurt us or wounded us that have shaped how we see ourselves and the thoughts and feelings that have come from them.

One thing that spoke to me was the concept of not wanting to be "defined" by these issues. Sure, they shaped who we are, and they have had lasting effects on our personalities, coping skills, and self talk. But should we just say "that is who I am" and move on in life, allowing them the power to continually keep a door open for attack? I think not. I think the true goal is to first become aware of how these issues developed, acknowledge their contribution to our past and present, and then find a way to heal those wounds and replace them with the truths of God's love. That is where I think I am right now. I have really become painfully aware of some of my hangups, and when/why they began. I am still working on the "heal and replace" part. It is a tough road, as some of my issues have a long and deep rooted past in my life story. It isn't easy to undo that. But as much as they have shaped who I am today, I refuse to let them warp who I will be tomorrow. I am committed to turning back to God's words, His promises, His affirmations, His comfort and truly speaking that truth to my heart, so that tomorrow I can grow in His way alone.

No comments: